Why I don’t want to be “fabulous” on Pinterest

Everyone’s talking about Pinterest – it’s the latest and greatest thing to hit social media and the interwebz in a while. There hasn’t been a day that goes by without someone, somewhere, posting a “how to be (insert your favorite word here)” or “what you should be doing” on Pinterest.

I was on Pinterest long before it became the craze it is now. It was a lot nicer and more fun then.  I say enough already – where have you people been? Pinterest was not launched last week. Now, before the hackles on the back of your neck get any tighter, let me explain.

My main objective with Pinterest is totally selfish. I’m doing it for me and no one else. I have no desire to be “fabulous.” My boards represent me – my interests, my personality, me. Not what I think you, the reader (for a lack of a better term) wants to see. And honestly, that’s what you should be doing.

Pinning is fun

I find it interesting and fun. I post pictures, posters, and things that please my eye (and me). I don’t think “oh, I wonder if someone will like this.” Yes, I repin things that show up via my follower’s or through the general categories. I also pin things I find all over the web. I also get repinned – some things more than others. Re-pinned items show it resonates with people – for whatever reason. I don’t consider it a sign that what I’m putting on my boards are fabulous or that I’m popular.

To keep it fun for me, I have not broadcasted my use of Pinterest. I don’t tweet it out, plant it on Facebook or link it on G+. I posted my link one time on Facebook and added a button on my blog. If you’re interested, check it out. If not, that’s fine. I have no idea who has visited my boards through my blog or my link, nor do I care.

Now about those businesses

I am amazed at the bazillion and one blog posts put out by the “guru’s” and “maven’s,” telling businesses why they should use Pinterest for their social media and/or marketing ROI.  Seriously, enough already. You dilute the Pinterest stream every time something like this comes out.

Businesses broadcasting boards with nothing but links to their articles or others’ (gotta love content curators), and marketers trying to find their place with haphazard boards, just makes this a crowded, noisy place…like those other social media platforms.

B2B & B2C businesses need to think about what they are doing. Posting boards with the same content you post on your website, Twitter, Facebook and/or G+ is just nuts. Be creative, not redundant. There are other more useful tools for content curation. Not every business, in my opinion, should be on Pinterest. But hey, I’m just a user of the program, what do I know.

On the other hand, if you’re a design firm (or student), photographer, artist/art gallery, chef, etc., I want to see your boards. Display it prominently – use those categories. I want to see (and repin) those “interesting, mind-boggling, never would have thought of” things. That’s what makes Pinterest awesome. Not a bunch of boards with links to articles.

“Best of” Lists

Oh, and of course, now we have the “list of the most popular” pictures on Pinterest. Great, another list to show how skilled we are with “gamification,” (which annoys the hell out of me). I can already see the rush of self-promotion starting.

Come on people, use your head. Obviously, Pinterest is what you make of it, but if you’re a business (or social media “maven” or “guru”), please don’t spam my inbox, Twitter, Facebook, or G+ streams with your latest and greatest, or tell me how to make my boards “fabulous.”

I’m just not interested in being fabulous.

14 comments for “Why I don’t want to be “fabulous” on Pinterest

1. Anonymous
    February 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Well said. Today has been fun :)

• February 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Thank you Dan, I’m honored (and thoroughly shocked we agree on something!). Yep – today has been a barrel of laughs :) Cheers…

2. February 7, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi : )

I came across a link to this blog under my most recent Google Alert, ‘Social Media Marketing.’ Either you’ve got SEO down pat, or you’ve unintentionally listed almost every keyword in a social media ‘guru’s’ dictionary. Either way- I agree with you when you say you use it for you and you only. I myself do that same- it’s a nice visual and organizational tool that highlights my passions (which may not be so ‘fabulous’ but yet I still can’t keep up with ; )). I think overall, you’ve a bitter attitude towards Pinterest/Pinterest users, yet you still use it and write about it…So forget the craze and whatnot, and continue doing what makes you happy. Understand that the reason you’re receiving emails is because you’ve given Pinterest permission to do so. You can unfollow people to avoid the ‘fabulous’ on welcome page, or you can also change your privacy settings. It’s as simple as that. Now go ahead, love Pinterest! And yes, it is a wonderful tool for businesses- Pinterest now engages (engagement is one of the best, and often only, indicators for new media ROI in most companies) more users than G+. Crazy huh?

Megan 😀

• February 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi Megan. I assure you, I am not bitter about Pinterest or its users. On the contrary, I absolutely love it and wouldn’t have written about it if I felt differently. What I don’t care for is the added noise of businesses broadcasting the same content (i.e. links on boards) that are already sent out over every social network. I think some businesses shouldn’t be on Pinterest, but then some businesses should. I understand it’s use, doesn’t mean I have to like it.

The emails I receive are not from Pinterest, by the way. The play on “fabulous” is from an email I received from a someone that I subscribe to for business/social media concerns.

As for SEO and keywords – purely coincidental that it showed up where it did. I write as I think and then publish. I never think about where my posts will end up in a search – believe it or not, it just isn’t that important to me. However, I do use tags & categories that I feel are appropriate to a topic. They’ve been pretty much the same for a few years now and I’m surprised my post came up that high in the search.

Honestly, I think you may have missed my point, but that’s ok. I’m just stating my opinion/thoughts.

Thank you stopping by and commenting. It’s always nice to get another person’s thoughts.

• February 8, 2012 at 12:23 am

I respect your opinion and many of the points you’ve made. I suppose I’ve missed your point :) Happy blogging and pinning!

3. Denise
    February 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Sherree, Thank You Thank You Thank You! I’m with you, Pinterest is all about fun, what I like, want, need – me me me!
    :^)

• February 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Denise, that’s the way it should be, in my opinion! I’m so glad we agree on this.

4. Redge
    February 6, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I heard of Pinterest and decided it wasn’t for me.

I like your approach, doing it for yourself. Celebrities started doing what they loved and end up doing what everyone else loves. Its just not fun anymore.

How many times have we heard that someone has taken the fun out of something? Too many times!

Appreciate your candor. A great read.

• February 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

Redge – Pinterest isn’t for everyone and I can totally understand your feelings about that. I’m guessing a lot of people started doing it for themselves and perhaps still are. I hope so – it’s infinitely more fun to do it that way. If I start worrying about how my boards look to others, then it’s not fun anymore. I refuse to be bullied into changing what I do – but then you knew that!

I write what I feel which isn’t always popular, thank you for the kind words.

5. Katie Swanberg
    February 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I had a conversation with someone online recently that I felt like Pinterest had jumped the shark, and it was all because companies have begun ruining it the way they have ruined Twitter for me – all noise and no real good content. I constantly unsubscribe from boards/people who are just noisy and just redundant, but it can take a lot of work.

• February 6, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Good point about “jumping the shark.” That might be so – time will tell. I have been paying attention to those that follow me – if I don’t “know” them, I follow. If I do know them, depending on who they are and what my relationship is with them, I “may” follow back. I have people following me that I won’t follow – because I can see their content all over the place and honestly, it probably doesn’t interest me in those places. That helps with the noise.

Short of backing away (which gives the broadcasters more room), I will just continue doing what I’m doing and sharing what I want. If there was a way to block them (I’m guessing that might happen eventually), I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Don’t stop sharing Katie – try and tune out the noise, like I do. Besides, I like what you pin!

6. February 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

This caught my eye. I read it with a glee not usually found when visiting a blog or post. I am with you all the way on this. I got ‘pinned’ and found myself onboard, so to speak, a few days ago. seeing the same faces and places connecting to me. Don’t know how to change that; but i think a few more days and the noise will die down here,or there!

Personally, I follow your tweet line and see you pop up here and there. That means I find you interesting or I would avoid you. This article here makes me a fan. Keep up the fight to be original. Billy

• February 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Awesome and thank you for the comment. I suspect there are not many people who might feel this way, or if there are, they’re not talking. The redundancy of social media is overwhelming. I want new and exciting, not the same content, from the same people. Sadly, that’s what happening with Pinterest. Same old content pushing out the fabulous material of others.

I’m flattered this article makes you a fan – I hope I continue to live up to the interest!