Back to the beginning; I miss my “core” friends

When I first jumped on Twitter just over two years ago, I had no idea what to do, whom to follow or even how to get followers. Slowly but surely, I built up a core of friends that in large part included writers of the amazing kind. Regular people, not well-known and celebrated authors. They are published and unpublished (for now) authors of many genres, screenwriters, bloggers, producers and more. You see, at the core of who I am, I am a writer. I have been writing “something” since dirt was new and dinosaurs just left the earth.

I have enjoyed some of the most hilarious, down to earth discussions ever with these friends of mine. We have laughed, we have cheered each other on when it came to deadlines, writers block, etc., and we have commiserated and sympathized with each other. I wrote a 55k+ word novel in a thirty-day competition last November (NaNoWriMo) on a dare made in July (I’ll bet you didn’t know that), that I would not have finished had it not been for them. I cherish my friendship with each and every one of them.

With that said, I almost left them in the dust (unintentionally) when I became seriously involved with “social media” and my small circle of friends grew to what it is now.

New friends, new focus?

Somewhere along the way, I became caught up with new friends that had a different focus. Now, I realize we all have friends/followers that we choose for many reasons. We talk with them in specifics – whether it is business, leadership, social media, local issues, etc., or we have personal conversations.  If you’re like me, you may try to talk to everyone about a myriad of topics.

In my zeal to learn and absorb everything I could about all things social media, somehow I left my writer friends behind. Oh, I still spoke to them, but not as intensely or as often as I had in the past.

I blame myself for that and have started to change that.

Have you talked to your core folks lately?

In the past few weeks, I have started to reconnect with my writing friends and have actually added a few new ones. I miss them and frankly, there is so much more to life and me, than social media, business, leadership and marketing.

We are talking about writing projects new and in progress, books that are being published soon, screenplays that are being optioned, short films that are being made, and a new writing anthology that I’m thrilled to be a part of. Some of us are also making plans to participate in NaNoWriMo again (lord help me). I have missed my writer friends – the people I connected with when I was learning Twitter with training wheels.

Does my reconnecting with old friends mean I’m going to stop talking to the “newer” friends (who aren’t that new anymore)? Of course not, my newer friends are just as important, but for different reasons. I just plan on spending a bit more time with my core friends than I have over the past months. After all, without them, I wouldn’t know you.

Do you still connect with your core friends? Are they still as important to you as mine are to me?

6 comments for “Back to the beginning; I miss my “core” friends

1. July 27, 2011 at 12:53 am

Sherry, your post is something I can relate to 100%. I began by using writing forums and groups that helped each other with writing. Over those couple of years, I wrote some my of my best poetry and fiction, learned a lot and helped other people. Over time, I moved into Twitter and other social networks and made new friends. Our writing HQ, a website, shut down and we drifted apart. Your post made me miss them all and I really think I need to get back to writing the way I used to.

Thank you for this post.

2. July 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Great post Sherree. Its important to remember your roots and to do what you enjoy most! Why do anything else? You know I’m here to support you in any capacity I can. I appreciate your posts and staying true to yourself.

3. July 22, 2011 at 2:38 am

Sherree, I’m so glad you wrote this post! I agree with you whole-heartedly when you say: “…there is so much more to life and me, than social media, business, leadership and marketing.” because whatever our focus may be (whilst on Twitter), I believe this rings true for all of us. I know it does for me. Glad to know you and be in the process of getting to know you. :) The sensitivity and regard that you show towards the people with whom you interact online, is sure to be its own reward and is an example of the genuine person you are.

4. July 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm

This is a beautiful post, Sherree and good for you for taking the time to reconnect.

Sometimes I wonder, and yes even secretly wish sometimes that we could all go back to a simpler time. It seems that everyone is in this race and it is going faster and faster yet no one is quite sure where the finish line will be. I’ll be the first one to admit that I get caught up in it too. It’s hard not to.
    I guess my point is that it’s always good to take some time to stop and reevaluate because sometimes we are running so hard and fast that we totally forget what we were running to and who we may have accidentally left behind.

Thanks again, for the lovely reminder!

5. July 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I thought about this not long ago and took a few steps to make sure they knew I still thought about them. A went all the way back to the beginning of my Twitter follower list and picked ones that I remembered having discussions with and posted a few of their blogs on my FB page, gave shout-outs to some on Twitter, and a few other small, yet meaningful (at least in the Social Media realm.)

Writers were most of my core group, and I missed them too. I’m sure a few of them were the same people, I don’t know. I met you pretty early on also so anything is possible.

Good for you for reaching back. I’m sure many of them appreciate it. :)

6. July 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I don’t always talk to them, but I always listen. I’m a blog subsciber, a reader, or lurker if you will. I still feel connected to them, but I’m not sure that they don’t forget me.